Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:04:39 +0200

Hi Branden,

On 7/30/22 01:56, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Hi Alex,

At 2022-07-30T00:38:13+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
On 7/29/22 23:08, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
At 2022-07-29T17:26:10+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:

Hmm, considering that the amount of multiline comments with 80-char
terminals is still non-negligible (not in this page, but in all type
pages), I think I prefer to consistently support them, even when I
don't need.  That will have 2 side effects: contributors will
experience a more consistent syntax; and I will support smaller
terminals with extra-attractive comments.

Okay.  If you trust your contributors to understand that column just for
the comment leader, then I trust you.  :)

Heh!  I'll try.

I'll send a v5 with another page, to show that tabs are not good
enough.  And I'll try to not forget CCing groff@.

It'll be good to have a look.

Oh, it's already in your mailbox, isn't it?

I'm really looking forward to killing off another application of
`PD`.

Ok.  T think I'll remove .PD, and leave the extra blank line until
.TS is fixed.  A blank line will not hurt too much.

The fix should be in my next push; I merely got caught in a yak
shave called groff_mm(7).

Nice.  Still, I woudn't make use of it so fast, if the side effect in
old groff(1) versions was something more than a blank line.

It wasn't.  I was confusing this issue with Savannah #49390.

Savannah #43637 is also pretty gross.

I rendered all the groff man pages from Git HEAD with groff 1.22.4, with
the `sp` request deleted from the `TS` definition and a fallback
definition of `MR` (just like the one I presented in arguments with
Ingo) in man.local, and observed no pertinent layout problems.

But reallistically, how many people will fix their TS in man.local? Are we asking Debian [old]stable to backport that fix? :)

Poor contributors are unlikely to have latest groff for git HEAD :)

Don't I know it.

Cheers,

Alex

--