Re: Parallel Typesetting

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: Parallel Typesetting
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 15:06:48 -0400

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 02:02:31PM -0400, Hendursaga wrote:
> Hello Groffers!
>
> I'm trying to see how much trouble it would be to typeset a
> bilingual text parallel by pages, as in, one language on the recto
> page, the other on the verso page, synchronized somehow by paragraph,
> preferably more or less automagically.  I've searched the list already
> and came upon an interesting albeit two decade old message[1] that
> went unanswered as well as a much more recent thread[2] that deals
> with parallel typesetting with columns, on the same page, which is NOT
> what I'm looking for.

> Any ideas?

May I suggest formatting side-by-wide text on a single page using  tbl(1) .

This will get you the side by side paragraphs (or whatever lumping you want)
automagically with only complete lumps on each page.

Witness ...

  .ll 7i
  .
  .na
  .
  .TS
  lw(3i) lw(3i).
  T{
  Random words in English.
  .br
  I'm trying to see how much trouble it would be to typeset a
  bilingual text parallel by pages, as in, one language on the recto
  page, the other on the verso page, synchronized somehow by paragraph,
  preferably more or less automagically.  I've searched the list already
  and came upon an interesting albeit two decade old message[1] that
  went unanswered as well as a much more recent thread[2] that deals
  with parallel typesetting with columns, on the same page, which is NOT
  what I'm looking for.
  T}    T{
  Random words in French.
  .br
  with parallel typesetting with columns, on the same page, which is NOT
  what I'm looking for.
  went unanswered as well as a much more recent thread[2] that deals
  and came upon an interesting albeit two decade old message[1] that
  I'm trying to see how much trouble it would be to typeset a
  T}

  T{
  Random words in English.
  .br
[...]