Re: Two trivial questions

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: Two trivial questions
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:00:05 +1100

Initially, I pronounced it /ɡɹɔːf/
<http://ipa-reader.xyz/?text=%C9%A1%C9%B9%C9%94%CB%90f>. Recently, I've
begun pronouncing it /ˈdʒiːɹɒf/
<http://ipa-reader.xyz/?text=%C9%A1%C9%B9%C9%94%CB%90f>, though I sometimes
still mentally read it as the former.

IMHO, I think we should put our foot down and standardise Groff's
pronunciation in a man page somewhere. I'm willing to bet plenty of users
mispronounce "troff" as /tɹɒf/ <http://ipa-reader.xyz/?text=t%C9%B9%C9%92f>
(I used to be guilty of this myself).

 I'd further argue that the GNU roff project has indulged some puns that
> make the "jee-roff" pronunciation an unstable equilibrium that we might
> expect to fail.

The prefix these tools use isn't *"g-"*, but *"gro-"*; i.e., pronouncing
grops *"jee-rops"* only makes sense if there was a tool named "rops".

The surname "Groff", with which some unknown quantity of users will be
> familiar before they encounter our software, long predates computerized
> typesetting.

"Troff" is also a surname, albeit an uncommon one (see
https://unwsp.edu/bio/emma-troff/). Ergo, this argument doesn't have much
weight.