Re: Two trivial questions

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Two trivial questions
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:57:52 +0100

Hi Peter,

> Is there a correct pronunciation of groff?

It's g-roff, just as ed(1) is e-d.  History and culture are important so
it's worth persisting and educating gently in the background,
e.g. groff(1) should start

    This document describes the groff program, pronounced ‘gee-roff’, ...

> Second question, maybe not so trivial.  Is it acceptable to use a
> comma for decimal fractions that are arguments to requests and macros
> (say .ps 12,5 instead of .ps 12.5) if a user's locale supports it?

No, because: troff's input is more code than data; and allowing it
removes an option for future expansion.  Input should be ASCII or UTF-8.
That ISO 8859-1 is currently acceptable is a bit of an evolutionary
accident and should be discouraged; I don't think preconv(1) uses it.

    $ dc -e 16iA3P | nroff | grep .
    £
    $ dc -e 16iA3P | LC_ALL=en_GB.latin1 preconv
    .lf 1 -
    \[u00A3]

--
Cheers, Ralph.