Re: mm(7) DT string and super/subscripts (was: troff Memorandum Macros d

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: mm(7) DT string and super/subscripts (was: troff Memorandum Macros documentation derived from the paper "MM - Memorandum Macros")
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 18:35:39 +1000

At 2021-08-09T14:38:20-0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2021 09 Aug 10:05 -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > It's interesting to me that the following two are not equivalent.
> >
> >     foo\v'-.5'\s-4bar\s0\v'.5'
> >     foo\u\s-4bar\s0\d
> >
> > Our use of the term "half-line motion" might require some
> > clarification.
>
> I see the groff.7.man file in Git HEAD now states:
>
>        \u     Move upward ½ vee (½ line in nroff).

Yes.  So it is surprising to me that the equivalence is lacking on the
PostScript device, for instance.  I'm attaching input and intermediate
output.

> May I ask what a 'vee' is as I don't see it defined in that page.
>
> Is it related to this:
>
>               v         Vertical line space in basic units
>
> If so, then it might be useful to add '(vee)' at the end of the
> statement.

Exactly correct.  And yes, something like that would be a good idea.

> If nothing else, you made me read the page more closely!  :-O

groff documentation often does that to me as well.  :D

> Please do understand that I am still learning.  Most of my TROFF work
> so far as been cargo cult!

No worries.  Those who have stopped learning have stopped thinking, and
are merely marking time to the grave.

At 2021-08-09T18:33:02-0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2021 09 Aug 07:33 -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > Yup; as noted in my previous reply, this was a mistake on my part,
> > arising from a lack of access to authentic documentation.  I'll fix
> > it.
>
> And fixed it is in the latest HEAD.  Thanks, Branden!

All in a day's work!   Well, a few minutes in this case.  ;-)