Re: groff-examples repository

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: groff-examples repository
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:40:56 -0500

On 7/12/21, Thomas Dupond <thomas@dupond.eu> wrote:
> I'm skimming through the archives to try to create such a document

Fantastic!

> it is taking a lot of time since it goes back to 1999

Happily, the entire archives don't need to be scoured at once.  Having
something out there in incomplete form is better than having nothing
out there; it can always be expanded as you or others have the chance
to peruse more of the email archive and find new things.

Here are a few that I've found useful at various times.

Typesetting arbitrary fractions
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2005-11/msg00029.html
(with a caveat in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2013-09/msg00022.html)

Rotating or reversing characters (PostScript ouptut only)
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2000-08/msg00068.html

Reflowing text several times to determine an optimum configuration
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2008-12/msg00006.html

Outputting cut marks
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2008-12/msg00024.html

Command-line utility to show all the potential hyphenation points
groff knows for a word
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2018-11/msg00023.html

and of course the strchr / strrchr macros that kick-started the
present discussion
http://lists.gnu.org:443/archive/html/groff/2021-06/msg00101.html

> I wondered what would be actually eligible to end up in the document.
>
> I'm currently keeping examples using native groff syntax but I'm
> hesitant on including personal macro sets posted to the mailing list.

The great thing about volunteering to start a project is you get to
dictate its ground rules. :-)