Re: Not predefined Extended Latin character needed, interesting solution

From: Deri
Subject: Re: Not predefined Extended Latin character needed, interesting solution found
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:21:16 +0100

On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 21:51:09 BST Oliver Corff wrote:
> Hi Deri,
>
> I just attempted to follow your advice and compile groff from scratch. I
> downloaded 1.22.4 and ran ./configure.
>
> I am a bit confused because ./configure warns me that I do not have URW
> fonts, but /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35/ is definitely not empty.
> ./configure does not respond well when I run it with the urw font
> directory option, and asks me to get the necessary fonts from
> http://downloads.ghostscript.com/public/fonts/urw-base35-v1.10.zip
>
> However, that URL just returns a 404 error.
>
> Am I missing an essential step I should be aware of here?
>
> Best,
>
> Oliver.

Hi Oliver,

I believe there is some development going on concerning configure and URW
fonts, because the
names of the actual fonts have changed with a recent release. I would be happy
to try to
generate a complete fonts/devpdf directory for you if you can provide the
following to me (off
list):-

A directory listing of your /usr/share/fonts/urw-base35 directory.

An archive of your current fonts/devpdf directory (this will either be in the
/usr/share/groff/
1.22.4 directory or /usr/local/share/groff/1.22.4), the command "which groff"
will give a clue
which directory to look for.

Cheers

Deri