grep-devel

Re: ready for a grep-3.8 release

From: Carlo Arenas
Subject: Re: ready for a grep-3.8 release
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 10:15:55 -0700

OnTue, Mar 22, 2022 at 9:19 AM Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 3/22/22 00:10, Carlo Arenas wrote:
> > There is a workaround from an old PCRE2 JIT bug, which I was recently
> > reminded of when it resurfaced[1] in git and that would be worth
> > adding before the next release.

I was unable to trigger it with grep though, and it might be because
it also seems to require PCRE2_MULTILINE which is never used.

It also seems to be less common than I expected (Debian's 10 PCRE2 is
not affected, but Ubuntu 20.04 is) and since it has a known fix that
just needs backporting filed it as a bug[1] there instead.

> Thanks, I installed the attached.

Based on the additional information provided it might not be needed
(Sorry about the back and forth, but wasn't sure of how long of a
"heads up" was required)

Carlo

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pcre2/+bug/1965925