gpsd-users

Re: Report GPS/sync time difference

From: Roger Oberholtzer
Subject: Re: Report GPS/sync time difference
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 06:51:40 +0000

Follow-up to my quastion.

I was trying to find out what the time difference between the GPS/gpsd and system time/chrony was. This when the system time had not yet been syncd.

Our GPS receivers don't do a PPS until they are properly initialized. As they are high-end (OxTS) designed to be used in a moving vehicle, this means you have to drive a bit. This is also because of the IMU and how it is integrated in positions and orientation.

If we power on the system as usual with gpsd and chrony running, but have not yet syncd, when the GPS is eventually initialized and gpsd is happy, chrony will report this in the system log:

Oct 18 13:17:32 rstraptor1 chronyd[2772]: System clock wrong by -67.652005 seconds
Oct 18 13:16:24 rstraptor1 chronyd[2772]: System clock was stepped by -67.652005 seconds

There is the time difference I was after. If it is the most accurate time difference one can get reported is not clear to me. But it serves my purpose. I guess this is that first time step that chrony does at the start, before doing the small incremental steps to keep the time in sync.

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020
Mobile: +46 (0)70-815 1696