gpsd-users

Re: ublox F9P - rover: no RTK fix with default gpsd ublox initialisation

From: Michael Haberler
Subject: Re: ublox F9P - rover: no RTK fix with default gpsd ublox initialisation
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:09:02 +0200

Hi Gary,

> Am 13.10.2022 um 02:21 schrieb Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com>:
>
> Yo Michael!
>
> I just pushed a patch that fixes gpsd reporting of RTK status
> from ubx messages.  Please test.

done

RTK Float fix comes up right away with the command line

        gpsd --debug 1 --listenany --nowait /dev/ublox-zed-f9p
ntrip://rtk2go.com:2101/Gutsche

so fix detection works, internal ntrip client works, no more external str2str
correction feeder - wonderful!
track + speed values being reported as well - great, so my use case will work
just fine

thanks a lot!

I'm under water for a few days

then I will test with an M8P receiver and report - this one:
https://gnss.store/neo-m8p-gnss-modules/90-elt0078.html

also, will try out the other ntrip casters including my own based on
https://github.com/Stefal/rtkbase

also, I'll connect a second M7N USB gps and report - I record that as well for
comparison (json lands in influxdb for ex-post staring at plots)

I note the 'Oct 13 08:44:29 oe-sox gpsd[115746]: gpsd:WARN: NMEA0183: TXT:
Error: txbuf alloc' message is still around although all USB connections, happy
to help nail that one if you are interested

btw my funny device name  /dev/ublox-zed-f9p comes from an udev rule for stable
device names - if you plug/unplug a lot, relying on something like /dev/ttyACM0
is asking for trouble as the device name might change to say /dev/ttyACM2 or
somesuch

with this udev rule the name /dev/ublox-zed-f9p the underlying device name may
change and gpsd still gets the right path to work with:
# Ublox ZED-F9P 1546:01a9
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1546", ATTRS{idProduct}=="01a9",
SYMLINK+="ublox-zed-f9p", TAG+="systemd",
ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"

a question regarding the built-in ntrip client:

There's the SOURCETABLE mechanism for listing what stations are available
so far I've used ntrip URI's only with an explicit mount point like the one
above

should a client able to fetch the SOURCETABLE and select the closest matching
station? or is that a whacky idea?

best regards

Michael