gpsd-users

Re: Decreasing number of used satellites

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Decreasing number of used satellites
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:09:39 -0700

Yo Ulrich!

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 12:30:38 +0000
"Wielant, Ulrich" <U.Wielant@leonardogermany.com> wrote:

> I updated to gpsd 3.23.1 (I hope 3.23.1 is current enough...)
> I still have problems with the number of used satellites.

3.24 is current.  Multiple GNSS NMEA is rapdily evolving.

>  I have attached the output of cgps and gpsmon captured at rather the
> same time.

Not helpful.  What you need to send is the NMEA you get, with that I can
see what cgps would show.  Ignore gpsmon, it is obsolete.

> The GPGSV and GNGSA NMEA sentences describe a large number of
> satellites. The SKY JSON object in cgps indicate that none of them
> are used.

Without your NMEA, no way to see what is happening.

> Greg, can you tell me, why the gpsd indicates that none of the
> satellites are used?

Not without your NMEA.

> Please tell me if you need any other information.

Can you verify your GNSS receeiver is set to NMEA 4.11?  Earlier versions
of NMEA did not forsee today's multiple constellations.

Your exact make, model, firmware version, and receiver settings will
also be helpful.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588