gpsd-users

Re: Masterclock GMR-1000 with gpsd?

From: Preston L. Bannister
Subject: Re: Masterclock GMR-1000 with gpsd?
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:26:01 -0700

Got this to work, but some bumps along the way. Also receiving UDP broadcasts seems to not work.

On the last try, configured the GMR-1000 to send UDP packets to a specific endpoint. Command given when ssh into the GMR-1000::

ssh> nmeaoutput ethernet 10.32.21.2 6165 no

Running gpsd to listen on that endpoint:

$ sudo gpsd -nN -D9 udp:/10.32.21.2:6165

Running cgps and gpspipe show reasonable JSON traffic from gpsd. So this seems to be good - if a bit noisy in "-D9" complaining about extra characters.

Initially configured the GMR-1000 to send UDP to broadcast to port 6165:

ssh> nmeaoutput ethernet 255.255.255.55 6165 no

Could see the traffic through "sudo tcpdump -n 'port 6165'", but somehow gpsd was not picking up the packets.

(Work is air-gapped, so copying over logs takes a bit.)

On 2022-05-27 23:59, Preston L. Bannister wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Got a little further. And "Yes", I read the manpage,
> a good deal of the site. grabbed the sources, and scanned the mailing list
> - before posting here. (Also got a reply from the maker's "support" email -
> which was not helpful.)
>
> In the first pass, only saw NMEA output on the serial port (not USB or
> UDP). Was using a USB-to-serial (DB9) *cable* with the wrong gender on the
> DB9 end - so rigged in a female-female coupler. Was good enough to get NMEA
> output, before it fell apart. USB-to-serial cable of the proper
> gender arrived tonight - so will try again on Tuesday.
>
> This device is old and quirky, takes a bit to figure out what works. :/
>
> Seems the device also responds to SNMP ... kinda. (Serial looks like the
> best bet.)
>
> Again, not expecting an easy answer, but have to ask. :)
>

> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 4:17 AM Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:
>

>> "Preston L. Bannister" <preston@bannister.us> writes:
>>
>>> The device offers options to output NMEA to an Ethernet endpoint
>>> (address:port) - presumably via UDP. There are also options for USB and
>>> serial. No luck on any yet - at least in the first pass.
>>
>> If you can get NMEA and feed it to gpsd, that should work.
>>
>> gpsd, as documented in the man page (am assuming you read that before
>> asking ;-) can listen on a UDP port.  It can also get data from serial
>> ports, and when you say "USB" presumably that is serial over USB, which
>> the OS turns into a device that acts like a serial port.
>>
>> Also, be sure to have gpsd 3.24 (latest formal release) or the tip of
>> master from git; questions about older versions here will be rejected
>> with advice to upgrade.

The Masterclock will run NMEA over UDP just fine but you have to use
their configuration software or a terminal session to enable it and
define the port number (everything on it is configured with their
software or via terminal).

Specifically it makes an *outbound* UDP connection (it does not listen)
so you need to configure gpsd to listen for UDP messages and then
configure the Masterclock to send UDP to the IP/port that gpsd is
listening on.