gpsd-users

Re: Trouble with PPS on u-blox 7

From: gpsd
Subject: Re: Trouble with PPS on u-blox 7
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:57:52 -0400

On 4/22/22 14:16, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo gpsd@rkidder.com!

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:50:49 -0400
gpsd@rkidder.com wrote:

I'm having trouble getting PPS from a u-blox 7 device.
Yeah, you will.  Those need an outdoor antenna with a good sky view.

You mention nothing of how your PPS is connected to your host.  As
a HAT, PCI, USB, RS-232?

You mention nothing of your host: PC, Raspberry Pi, Apple Mac, etc.
That, and the OD on it, matters.

It is connected via USB and is outside, with a clear view of the southern sky. It's running gpsd 3.22 on an x86 PC with a 3D fix.

since most people don't realize what info we need to help, run this
script, as root, and send back here the restuls:

     https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html
What script?

When I run gpsmon, the value for PPS is simply N/A. I've also tried
using ppscheck, which doesn't return any results.
I guess you did not read the Time Service HOWTO:

     https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html

No point even starting gpsd until ppscheck works for you.

I do get a good
sync to six satellites.
I would hardly call 6 "good".  Do you have a 3D Fix?

I get UBX-ACK-ACK when I try "ubxtool -e PPS" and/or "ubxtool -e
TIM-TP" so it looks like the unit should support PPS. Additionally, I
can see the device /dev/pps0 is created and lsmod shows both
pps_ldisc and pps_core are loaded. It certainly appears that I should
be getting PPS data.
Ma y fact not in evidence, see above.

I'm running Debian Buster with stock kernel 4.19.0-20-686-pae on x86
hardware.
4.19?  Really?  Ouch.

But more important, what version gpsd, etc.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588