gpsd-users

Re: Sending commands to device while gpsd is running

From: Filip Kubicz
Subject: Re: Sending commands to device while gpsd is running
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 11:49:03 +0200

Hi Gary,

No debugging of the receiver is needed. I know it works when I send a certain
UART payload.
I just want to achieve the same payload to be sent through gpsd, to avoid
contending with gpsd for serial port access.

gps_send() unfortunately only sends the buffer from client to gpsd, but gpsd
doesn't forward the buffer to the device.

>From inspecting gpsctl, I see that gpsctl "low-level mode" means "bypass
>gpsd". And it doesn't have a way to write to the device through gpsd.
gpsctl uses session.device_type->control_send() to ship the control message.
But it must be called from within gpsd session, not from a client using libgps.
Similar thing (I think) could be achieved by modifying handle_gpsd_request() to
actually ship the buffer to the device if it has a certain format.

So I guess I have to write to the serial port outside gpsd and make sure I'm
not doing it in the initial setup phase when gpsd might be sending some
commands to the device.
If there is another method to achieve sending a control message to a device
from a client, please advise.

Thanks,
Filip

filip@kubicz.engineer