gpsd-users

Re: Getting PDOP, VDOP and HDOP in C

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Getting PDOP, VDOP and HDOP in C
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:07:16 +0100

On 29/03/2022 19:30, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Another misunderstanding.  DOPs do not vary by atmospheric conditions, etc.
They only vary by time, time being the variatble that tells you where the
sats are at any one time.  Nothing else affects the DOPs, just geometry.

It's what the
customer asked for, so!  I'll look at the others, though.
I learned a long time ago that customers often ask for the wrong thing.
If they truly understood the problem, they would not need you.

The trick to to give them what they need.

RGDS
GARY

OK, Gary, giving them both!

  https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_gps_dop.php

I'm happy with the NAME "DOP" as it's widely used, but I don't know whether "Error estimate" is the description you would like for the epX values. Possibly "uncertainty"?

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk