gpsd-users

Re: Issue 144 GPSD time will jump back 1024 weeks at after week=2180 (23

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Issue 144 GPSD time will jump back 1024 weeks at after week=2180 (23-October-2021)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:42:59 -0700

Yo Nick!

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:10:00 +0100
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> Just stumbled across this issue:
> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/144

Yup.  Also reported on Phoronix.com and other places.

> That date is looming and we are currently using 3.22

So update.

> I'm trying to understand whether we will definitely experience this
> issue or whether it only manifests itself in certain cases?

It you are using only NMEA sentences, and no proprietary NMEA sentences,
then you are probably OK.  No guarantees.

The bug was in gpsd_gpstime_resolv().  Only $PGRMF uses that function.
But u-blox, and other drivers, use it a lot.

> Obviously we will schedule upgrade to latest, but we have hundreds of
> devices out in the field...

At least you are planning ahead.  I expect a log of fallout on 24 October.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588