gpsd-users

Re: Building gpsd on Debian 11 (Bullseye)

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Building gpsd on Debian 11 (Bullseye)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:25:44 -0600

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:35:46 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> > Two python packages have gone away in the transition from Buster to
> > Bullseye, python-gobject-2-dev and python-cairo-dev. Building (scons
> > --config=force) seems to work without them.
>
> They are never required, just needed to run xgps.  So, optional.
>
> My guess is that they got renamed, again.  gentoo avoid this mess by
> using slotting.

They seem to have gone away entirely. Even searching on variants turns
nothing up. Or I'm not imaginative enough in my variant searching.
Anyway, once I got xgps working (see below) xgps and xgpsspeed were
fine.

> > I also get:
> >
> > Checking Python module matplotlib... (cached)
> > WARNING: gpsplot is missing required runtime module matplotlib
>
> Pretty clear.  You are missing matplotlib.  Required to run gpsplot,
> But not rewuired to install it.  So, optional.

Yeah. The package is now "python3-matplotlib". I will so note.

For future reference: the package name is "python-matplotlib" in
testing, so I suspect that in Debian 12, that will be the package name.

> > xgps is not working correctly:
> >
> > $ xgps: can't load Python gps libraries -- check PYTHONPATH.
> > No module named 'gps'
>
> And did you check your PYTHONPATH?
>
> > It looks like the gps python libraries are installed but:
>
> Installed where?  Installed in a place in your PYTHONPATH?

Installed like so:

Install file: "gpsd-3.23.2~dev/gps/fake.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/fake.py"
Install file: "gpsd-3.23.2~dev/gps/gps.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/gps.py"
Install file: "gpsd-3.23.2~dev/gps/misc.py" as
"/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps/misc.py"

So:

root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# echo $PYTHONPATH

root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# export
PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages
root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# gpsfake
gpsfake: requires at least one logfile argument.
root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd# xgps
xgps: host localhost port 2947
root@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd#

Which path I found after looking (again) at the output from the installation:

Ensure your PYTHONPATH includes /usr/local/lib/python3/dist-packages/

So apparently a package handles the path issue correctly, but building locally
does not. I will make a note.

I will let my changes to build.adoc sit overnight, take another look, and ship
it tomorrow.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com