gpsd-users

Re: Garmin GLO2 with GPSD

From: Fred Hillhouse
Subject: Re: Garmin GLO2 with GPSD
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 15:53:11 -0400

Hi Gary,

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:06:09 -0400
"Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@comcast.net> wrote:

>> I am new to this list and am using a Garmin GLO 2 for a project. It
>> was sitting around doing nothing.

>Even for free, maybe not worth it.  It has no documentation, except how to
>setup the Bluetooth.  Nothing on protocols, accuracy, configuration, etc.

Garmin is typically tight lipped on their stuff. For what I am doing, it puts
on the correct spot. NMEA is the only output.

>> The GPS can allow 4 users to connect via Bluetooth. Although it has
>> an USB port, there is no evidence it can be used for GPS data. On a
>> PC, each of these connections present as COMports.

>I have heard reports you can get NMEA out the USB port.

Can't prove that by me and I am not lost working with GPS receivers in general.
I did see one report of a 'maybe' on this list but no confirmation. Besides,
sharing one USB GPS to several users is not really possible without a lot of
work.

>> I am attempting use with a Raspberry Pi Zero W but I suspect it would
>> be similar to all RPi with WiFi/Bluetooth.

>Yes, nothing special about the Pi.  It works (almost) like any other
>Linux host.

Ah, there is the rub. While I am use to using tools on my Win PC, I am a total
noob with Linux. I suspect I need something to differentiate between the 4
different channels. I suspect there may be similarities for the Dual Corp.
X160GPS receiver (also supports 4 users).

>> On the RPiZero, I have it running enough such that cgps -s will give
>> me position and other data. The Status never changes.

>That means the data path from the device, to gpsd, to cgps is fine.
>No need to look at the path more, it works.

Yes, but which channel? And, are the multiple channels confusing the issue?

>> Direwolf, never gets valid data.

>Never heard of Direwolf.

Amateur radio application that can operate on multiple platforms.

Dire Wolf is a software "soundcard" AX.25 packet modem/TNC and APRS
encoder/decoder. It can be used stand-alone to observe APRS traffic, as a
tracker, digipeater, APRStt gateway, or Internet Gateway (IGate). For more
information, look in:
https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/README.md

Direwolf acquires data from GPSD. It never see a valid position. My suspicion
is that the connection between rfcomm and GPSD is not complete.

>> My Windows PC does get valid data.

>I have not used Windows this millennium.

I use my PC as an appliance. And since the work place requires Microsoft
products ... just don’t hate me for using one.

The is one reason for the Raspberry Pi. It is my Linux educational tool and I
have things I want to accomplish with it.

>You said you never got status?  But there it is.  You have a 3D fix, and
>you just got it (not old).

The GPS has been running for over 2 days in a good location with excellent sky
view. Yes, the satellites could be in places that makes it less than perfect
but I have a solid 3D fix and have ad that all along.

>So, what is the problem again?  You cgps looks fine to me.

Other than the 3D Fix is not even 1 second old in cgps, I don't know. That does
smack of something, I just can't identify it. My only guess is something
between the Bluetooth sub system (?) and GPSD is not connected correctly.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Fred