gpsd-users

Re: Type 5 "to_bow"

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Type 5 "to_bow"
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:30:56 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 09:27:00 -0700
Charles Douglass <chas.douglass@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should have been more specific -- the JSON does include the fields,
> but their values for Class A devices are always "0".

Yes, I saw that.

> The code you quoted appears to select the correct bits from the AIS
> packet based on the AIVDM web page.

Gpod to have that confirmed.

> I'm trying to capture some data using gpspipe but it's difficult to
> identify the Type 5 packets.  I'll keep working on it.

Just get me a raw catpure that you think might have a Type 6 in it.
Then pass that to gpsdecode to confirm:
        gpspipe -R -x 240 > raw.log
        gpsdecode < raw.log | fgrep 'type":5,'

> It's possible that the info is simply always "0", but I don't know
> why.

First we check to see if it is always 0 in the incoming data.

That gives us a big fork in the debug tree.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588