gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 14:31:14 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 15:50:11 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> I did follow these commands from the Raspbian Section of the Install
> document.

Sort of.

> pi@clover-4865:~ $ sudo apt-get update

Starts well.

> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n            -----> I didn't do this
> update considering I did have Python3 already

The point is to save space, you should do it.

> # apt-get install scons libncurses-dev python-dev pps-tools --->
> Should I have done libncurses5-dev instead? And should I have
> attempted to do the rpi-update command?

Dunno, you find that out later.

> # apt-get install git-core
> # apt-get install build-essential manpages-dev pkg-config

Good to here.  But then you skipped a number of steps.

Look here:

https://gpsd.io/building.html#_quick_start

Since you did the "git clone" you can ksip the tar extract, then do
the build and install.

> I have to go to a specific directory usually to run cgps otherwise it
> tells me it can't be found and I have to run it under python3 cgps
> command. Is this normal?
>
> pi@clover-4865:~ $ cgps
> -bash: cgps: command not found

Without all the steps you skipped, that can not work.  You can not run a
program you have not built yet, and not before you start gpsd.

> For the build portion of it, I wasn't sure if these were the right
> commands so I hadn't done this yet.

You can't just skip the parts you don't understand.  Each step builds
on the preveddeing steps.

 In my case gpsd-X.YY is just
> gpsd-3.22 correct? tar -xzf gpsd-X.YY.tar.gz

No.  You did a git clone, use that instead of the tar.

> cd gpsd-X.YY

Just "cd gpsd"

> scons && scons check && scons udev-install

Then that.  Then start gpsd, then run cgps.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588