gpsd-users

Re: ✘3.23 is near. Please test!

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘3.23 is near. Please test!
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:25:34 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> Yo Greg!
>
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:58:41 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:
>
>> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:
>>
>> > I just pushed 3.23-rc1, libgps version 29
>>
>> Has there actually been an ABI break in libgps?
>
> Yes, and no.  Some items were added to gps_data_t,  subframe_t, and
> attitude_t.  Added was orbit_t.
>
> The source API the client sees is merely expanded, the binary API has
> larger structures than before.  So new clients will not work with
> old libraries.

That's ok.  the key question is if a program built against the previous
version will work correctly with the new library.  But if the data types
have changed, that sounds like an ABI break.  Really we shoudl have
changed the shlib major value when that happened.

>>  I don't think it's
>> appropriate to bump shlib versions because of releases.  But if there
>> is an ABI break, it needs to happen.
>
> Binary API break, not source API break.  So a bump is needed.

ok or good enough

> Rust and Go just do away with shared libraries.  Maybe gpsd should to.

No, the rust/go approach is a mess.   Either you have shlibs, whhich is
fine if the ABI changes are understood and controlled, or you build
everything in static, in which case it's next to impossible to track
what needs updating when there's a security fix.