gpsd-users

Re: ✘3.23 is near. Systemd files

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘3.23 is near. Systemd files
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:16:09 -0700

Yo Bernd/Charles!

Either you two agree, or I ship two sets of systemd files.

Your choice.

Except the two nits below.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 01:27:43 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2021-07-30 at 15:38 -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> >
> > Do you have an opinion on the attached?
> >

> yes. Basically shows that the creator failed to understand how
> systemd and socket activation works.
>
> - socket is provided by gpsd.socket
> - gpsd.service is started when something connects to the socket, the
> connection filehandle is passed to gpsd.

Which is incompatible with ntpd or chronyd.  They need gpsd running
all the time.

> - options should go into the environment file.
> - attache usb devices are handled by udev and gpsd is activated via
> the socket. There might be devices missing in the udev config.
>

> For those who don't like the automatic way, using a systemd override
> file is the best option as it keeps things aliged to what is shipped
> by upstream or packages.
>

> The current device handling is regularly tested by the ubuntu people
> and known to work well.

Then why do so many come to gpsd-users every week because it does not work?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588