gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Aranza Shaccid Leon
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:44:48 -0700

Hello and good evening!

Okay thank you, I was just asking around about Mavlink because I haven't been able to find good enough information on how Mavlink is able to connect to Putty/Linux type shells and how to access this connection.

To exclusively access/download gpscsv, would using wget https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/raw/release-3.22/clients/gpscsv.py.in work?

Sincerely,
Leon

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 6:25 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Aranza!

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 19:20:03 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> May I ask if I used the command gpscsv -n 50 --cvt-isotime epx,
> epy,epv,eph,sep -c SKY -f nSat, uSat > gps.txt  would this print out
> latitude, longitude, altHAE, time, xdop,
> ydop,vdop,tdop,hdop,gdop,pdop, nSat, uSat, epx, epy,epv,eph, and sep?

Nope.  Many problems with that.  I suggest you try something much
simpler, like the examples from the man page, while keeping the man page
in front of you.

    https://gpsd.io/gpscsv.html

For starters:

1) you are missing -f in front of epx.

2) "-c SKY" says to read from class SKY, only.  No epx, epy, etc in SKY,
they are in TPV.

3) you never specified latitude, longitude, altHAE, so they will not
be printed.

> Essentially almost all the data possible from cgps and gpsmon?

Your list is not even close to all the possible data from gpsd.

gpscsv can only print one class at a time, so you would need to do
a post process to get the data merged.  Assuming your receiver is
even outputting that data.

> I've
> been searching for git repository, but I'm not sure if this link is
> the correct location to obtain gpscsv    Files · master · gpsd / gpsd
> · GitLab <https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/tree/master> ?

Yes, that is the correct link for the web viewer.  To work with it you
will need a local copy.

> I would be using the command git clone (the url/link of the webpage) ?

    # git clone https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd.git

This, and a whole lot more, is explained in INSTALL.adoc and
building.adoc.  View online copies here:

    https://gpsd.io/installation.html
    https://gpsd.io/building.html

> Also while I understand your dislike of systemd, may I ask if there
> is any way to connect through Mavlink to a GPS port?

I don't understand the question.  I have no idea what MavLink is?  And
I don't answer questions on systemd(umber).  Since I do not use it I
am not the right person to ask about it.  Me answering would be like a
plumber ansering an electrical question.

> I've been
> researching what the connection port could be for the GPS from the
> flight controller and found that the mavlink protocol just allows the
> flight controller to pass all the telemetry data, including GPS data
> into some mavros programs that drone has.

I'll have to take your word for it.  I know nothing of what you speak.

> For this reason, I've been
> investigating what these ports are on the NuttX shell that Mavlink
> has and found that it has ttyACM0 (the USB port of the flight
> controller) and that the port for the GPS is ttyS3.

I have no idea what NuttX is, what it does, or what you are trying to
do with it.

> I'm however not
> working on this NuttX shell for gpsd so I wished to ask if there is
> anyway to connect the NuttX with my Putty SSH shell?

I never heard of NuttX, I don't use Putty, and I don't even understand
the question.

> Or if in your
> prior experience, there should be a path in /dev that connects these
> two?

Sorry, I'm totally lost about the tools you are using and what you
wish to do with them.

I suggest you back way up and start with some simple things, that you
can thn build upon, before heading out into virgin territory.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the PNW environment. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.