gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:16:12 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 14:02:35 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> Here is the lsusb -v information:
> pi@clover-1060:~ $ lsusb -v

Why do we care?

> I initially ran the command sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients
> which installed the 3.17 gpsd version as a different link recommended.

Fine, if you do not want years of bug fixes.

> To get gpspipe to work, would I have to update my gpsd version?

To get it to work as gpsdebuginfo wants, yes.  To get it to work for
most purposes, no.

Try this: gpspipe -w -n 20

> If
> yes, what is the simplest method to do so (is it using tarbell or
> wget)

See the files INSTALL.adoc and build.adoc

> and would I have to remove my previous gpsd version?

That s the easiest way.

> I'm currently looking at this link: Index of /releases/gpsd/ (gnu.org)
> <http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gpsd/>    for the
> new versions and I have *gpsd-3.22.zip* in my files.

A good start.

> I'm also
> attempting to follow these instructions from Updating GPSD
> (satsignal.eu)
> <https://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/UpdatingGPSD.html#1B> , in
> Archive 2 for removing my older version and installing a newer one.

I suggest you use our instructions instead.  But many ways to skin a
cat with POSIX.

> The commands were:

I know I already sent you this link:

https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_sudo_sudont

>    - sudo apt remove gpsd
>    - sudo apt purge gpsd
>    - sudo rm /local/bin/*gps*
>    - sudo apt-get update
>    - sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>    - sudo reboot

I don't use any "apt" systems, so I can not comment.  Maybe someone else
can.

> May I ask why I need these programs installed as well?
>
>    - sudo apt-get install scons libncurses-dev python-dev pps-tools
>    - sudo apt-get install git-core
>    - sudo apt-get install build-essential manpages-dev pkg-config

If you read the INSTALL.adoc and build.adoc, you will see some of those,
not all, are optional, and why.

>    - git clone https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd.git

If you want to build from git and not tarball.

>  (could I instead use
> the command wget https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd.git)

Nope.

> If no, how should I update gpspipe?

If you read the INSTALL.adoc and build.adoc, you will see.

> Since I currently have my GPS still attached to the Raspberry Pi via
> USB, may I ask if all these details being gathered are to help
> identify the GPS once I've attached to the flight controller instead
> and set a connection path to it then?

Nope.  How you do that is system, and configuration, dependent.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588