gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 14:09:33 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 00:36:25 -0500
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> May I ask how would I use the command gpsdebuginfo?

As root:

    # cd /var/tmp
    # wget https://gpsd.io/gpsdebuginfo
    # chmod 755 gpsdebuginfo
    # ./gpsdebuginfo > tmo.log
    # mail gpsd-users@nongnu.org < tmp.log

> I understand that I should run gpsdebuginfo as root but I’m unsure
> how to get there.

This is not the forum for Linux command line basics...

> Here are the suggestions I have found:

UNIX always has many ways to do something, you only need to know one
to get a job done.

> 1) on the command line type sudo su (should get me to root user
> without needing password, I’ve only ever logged in as user pi) 2) set
> up a password for root

No, as I said before: "sudo su -"

Do NOT forget the minus!

1) and 2) are NOT an or function.  Do one, then two if you wisth.  Two
requires one.

> Why I’m asking is, I’m not sure if either method would be harmful
> (especially the sudo command) so I just wanted to check since I found
> no warnings for either method.

You can do very harmful things as root.  How you get to root is the
least of your worries.  What you do as root is what you worry about.

Sadly, most of the "howto be root on ubuntu" web apges are flawed in
various non-obvious ways.

Here is one that seems kinda correct to me:

    https://www.ubuntu18.com/ubuntu-enable-root/

I suggest you find a class on Ubuntu sysadmining.

> For future reference, do I have the option to send screenshots of the
> program/command running?

Nope.  Screenshots and email lists do not mix well, for many reasons.

Best to just cut/paste what you want to show.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588