gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 20:05:26 -0600

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:35:40 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> > 1) Could I use the sudo apt update command to update the gpsd?
> > Should I be obtaining version 3.20 or 3.22?
>
> As for sudo:
>
> https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_sudo_sudont
>
> Otherwise, I never use apt, someone else will have to answer that.

I don't use RPis, so this is Debian experience. Use the latest version
of gpsd you can get. However, "apt update" won't do that for you. It
updates apt's information. Once you do that, then run "apt upgrade" to
bring your system up to date. You should do that daily, or see
unattended-upgrades. After that, "apt show gpsd" will give you a bunch
of information, including the version.

You can also build from source. https://gpsd.io/building.html

> > 2) For disabling the systemd(root)  should this be: sudo systemctl
> > disable systemd-root or is it: sudo killall gpsd? Then to enable it
> > once more sudo systemctl enable systemd-root or reboot
> > (respectively)?
>
> As I said, I despise systemd(ilbert).  I have no idea how to
> configure it.
>
> Maybe someone else can help with that.

There is some information on using systemd with gpsd in the gpsd docs.

You do not want to disable systemd, despite Gary's disdain for it.
Doing so will leave you with a massive mess and may render your
system unbootable. What you want to do is either 1) remove gpsd from
systemd's control or 2) get the systemd configuration working to suit
your application.

To disable systemd's influence on gpsd, "systemctl stop gpsd; systemctl
disable gpsd; systemctl stop gpsd.socket; systemctl disable
gpsd.socket". This will leave systemd intact for other services. Now
configure as the non-systemd parts of the gpsd docs indicate.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/