gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:35:40 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:47:32 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for reading and responding to my previous email

Sadly, you did not return the favor by answering my question.  I'll repeat
it since you snipped it:

    b) Run gpsdebuginfo as root, and send us that output.  Your gpsd is too old,
    so get a copy here: https://gpsd.io/gpsdebuginfo

> I have managed to obtain data with a USB connection between the GPS
> and RPi using udev rules, but I had to disconnect the GPS from the
> flight controller. My issue was that if I decided to code the drone
> for autonomous flight or obtain local telemetry from it I wouldn't be
> able to do so.

I can't say without the gpsdebuginfo.  It could be that the flight
controller is reprogramming the GPS to not use the USB.

> 1) Could I use the sudo apt update command to update the gpsd? Should
> I be obtaining version 3.20 or 3.22?

As for sudo:

https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_sudo_sudont

Otherwise, I never use apt, someone else will have to answer that.

My suggestion is that you do whatever your normal system update routine
is.  If that does not work, install gpsd from tar ball or git.

> 2) For disabling the systemd(root)  should this be: sudo systemctl
> disable systemd-root or is it: sudo killall gpsd? Then to enable it
> once more sudo systemctl enable systemd-root or reboot (respectively)?

As I said, I despise systemd(ilbert).  I have no idea how to configure it.

Maybe someone else can help with that.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588