gpsd-users

Re: Properly handle response characters limit

From: Krix Rosinski
Subject: Re: Properly handle response characters limit
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:37:02 +0200

Hello Gary,

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 7:37 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Krix!

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 20:31:38 +0200
Krix Rosinski <krzysiek@jrdltd.co.uk> wrote:

> The documentation states a certain size limit for json responses. We
> often see truncated SKY messages when the receiver detects a high
> number of satellites.

What version gpsd?  gpsd 3.22 has much larger buffers.

And in what gpsd client do you see this?  Newer gpsd uses a client
side buffer tor reads.

Thank you, this was very helpful. This turned out to be a problem on our end, we used a raw TCP socket and there was a bug related to data handling.

> We need DOP/nSat/uSat fields only, so the ideal option would be to
> exclude the "satellites" completely.

Easy, just tell your receiver not to send sats.

> Ref.
> "The length limit for responses and reports is 1536 characters,
> including the trailing CR-NL. Longer responses will be truncated, so
> client code must be prepared for the possibility of invalid JSON
> fragments." https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd_json.html

That limit has been 10240 for a while.  Set by GPS_JSON_RESPONSE_MAX in
include/gpsd_json.h

I just updated that man page.  It may take hours to be visible.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

Regards,