gpsd-users

Using non-PPS receiver for ntpd?

From: Stein, Josh
Subject: Using non-PPS receiver for ntpd?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:00:27 +0000

Hello everyone,

  I currently only have access to a USB GPS receiver connected to an rPi which does not supply PPS data. Despite the lack of PPS accuracy, I would like to use this receiver as a clock source to the ntp daemon running on that Pi. This Pi in turn will serve time to the other devices on my setup giving me a relative synchronization of their clocks. In this particular instance, I can tolerate some pretty egregious jitter – on the order of tens of seconds.

My first question is fundamental – given the discussion in the guide here (https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd-time-service-howto.html), is it even feasible to use a non PPS receiver in this role?

TIA,

--Josh

Samuel Joshua Stein (Josh) – Principal Research Engineer

Argonne Special Projects – Material Science Division

Argonne National Laboratory

9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne IL  60439

(630) 252-4105