gpsd-users

Re: GPSD doesn't report signal dropout

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: GPSD doesn't report signal dropout
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 09:25:02 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> There is more to this than meets the eye.  The messages that we are
> talking about here do not include any status at all.  Most NMEA never
> outputs any status.  The Quectel never outputs status.  So the problem
> is in the client.
>
> status is for binary protocols like u-blox.
>
> I did change libgps_json.c to default status to STATUS_NO_FIX if there
> is otherwise no status.

That sounds like progress.

Where I'm coming from is not remembering all these details and the
notion that the json interface should be usable without knowing anything
about the receiver.   So ideally, I'd think the status information
should be synthesized from what exists (such as the validity flags).
Otherwise, I don't see how a user of  the json can decide whether to
respect the status information without  knowing more than it ought to
know, abstraction wise.