gpsd-users

tcp:// buglet

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: tcp:// buglet
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 15:45:45 -0400

I have a F9P with the ntrip esp8266 module from ardusimple.  This can
connect to a hotspot and then connect to an RTK provider.  It can
provide NMEA on a port.

If I do

  gpsd -n tcp://192.168.100.90:1234/

I get a complaint:

  gpsd:ERROR: TCP device open error can't get host entry.

but if I do

  gpsd -n tcp://192.168.100.90:1234

it works fine.  It seesm obvious to me that since tcp: is a URI type
scheme that a trailing / should be ok, and even the preferred form, even
though the man page clearly states that it doesn't belong.

This is sort of note to self, but I thought there was some chance
somebody else(tm) might view this as a bug and fix it :-)

Or perhaps / implies some kind of host part that is actually wrong, and
I should just learn not to type the trailing /, but still we need a
better error message, like "URI for tcp port may not include a trailing /".
(I at first thought it was hostname only, not address.)