gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:44:56 -0800

Yo shouldbe!

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 22:27:56 +0000
shouldbe q931 <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Eric maintains the clockmaker script.  He wanted to keep it to make
> > a minimal gpsd.  If that is not your goal too, then don't use it.
> >
> It has served well as something for me to discover an itch of mine
> that I am now scratching, and using to learn from.

Then you were his intended target.

> > If you go beyond the clockmaker script, and install, it is
> > in /usr/local/, so also easy to revert.
> >
> I have to disagree, when "scons install" is run as root it puts files
> in several paths that are not in the user's home directory
> /usr/local/, /usr/local/lib/
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps, and /usr/local/include
> I have seen this bahaviour under rasbian on a pi and in the Ubuntu VM

Which is why the clockmaker script does not tell you to do that!

Don't mix up recipes until you are a good chef.  The clockmaker
purpose and install and not the same as the normal purpose and install.

And, what else do you have in /usr/local/?  I suspect very little, so
you can uninstall by hand.

Or just use "scons uninstall".  Can't get easier than that.

> the end of stdout shows

Good.  No problem there.

> > I compile on my RasPi's, works well.  Easier than using VM's.
> >
> I was using a VM so that I could quite happily break anything and then
> revert to a known state without having to reimage an SD card again,
> reverting to a snapshot takes seconds

"scons uninstall" also just takes seconds.

> > Looks OK.  I try to discourgage people not building all the drivers
> > for gpsd and ntpd.  Partial builds are not well tested and can be
> > problematic.
> > > The contents of ntpsec/build/config.log
> > > https://pastebin.com/d7mT7Sya
> >
> > I see an ntpsec configure, but no gpsd configure?
> >
> Sorry, you've lost me, I was under the obviously mistaken
> understanding that scons without install was a combined configure and
> build, with the configure "options" being passed on the command line.

Yes, mistaken.  Not how you think. You sent me your ntpsec config, not your
gpsd config.  We are talking about gpsd here.

And, also mistaken in trying to mix the clockmaker install with a
normal install.  Pick one, they are not compatible.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588