gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Android tablet w/o GPS

From: Adam Heller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Android tablet w/o GPS
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 19:50:07 -0500

Yep, USB on the go support is built into Android. ....it's a question of if your version of Android has the drivers for the specific GPS device you'd be attaching... Or just use a blue tooth device.  Iirc, blue tooth devices may actually mount as devcies (like /dev/ devices) on Android. You could point gpsd to it in that case.

If you don't actually need nmea, and just want a location (so that when Android queries for Fine Location the device gets used), I'm sure there are 3rd party devices that will work over Bluetooth.

Adam

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018, 15:07 Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Fred!

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 12:24:16 -0500
Fred Hillhouse Jr <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have an ASUS tablet (Android 5) without a GPS. I would like to run a
> application that requires a GPS on it.

Why not just attach a GPS to the tablet?  You can either connect
with USB or Bluetooth.  There are many Android programs that can use
either of those.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588