gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd issues on Ubuntu 18.04

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd issues on Ubuntu 18.04
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 13:52:15 -0300

El martes, 30 de octubre de 2018 20:38:37 -03 Andrew McKay escribió:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having a few issues with gpsd on Ubuntu 18.04.  I know the GPS works
> fine as it was working on a previous install of Ubuntu on this laptop. I
> just upgraded to 18.04 to get the system up to date.  The previous LTS I
> had installed had gone out of support.
>
> So gpspipe was not showing any data which was my first sign something was
> amiss.  I killed gpsd and I'm unable to get it started again on the command
> line as port 2947 is still showing as being used:
>
> address@hidden:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd stop
> [....] Stopping gpsd (via systemctl): gpsd.serviceWarning: Stopping
> gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
>   gpsd.socket
> . ok
[snip]
> Any help would be appreciated!  For the time being I can manually bring up
> gpsd.  But would much prefer if it came up as a part of regular system
> starting.  Let me know if there is any other information I can provide!

What you are seeing is systemd's socket activation. Basically it means that if
gpsd is stopped then systemd will listen on that port. If anyone tries to reah
it it will start gpsd.service and pass the received data and the port
management.

If you want to start the system wide gpsd:

systemctl restart gpsd.service

If you want to run your own gpsd instance:

systemctl stop gpsd.socket # This will also stop gpsd.service if it's running.

and then just run gpsd.

--
4: Que es un icono
    * Un caballono