gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Create an SVG skyview image from JSON data

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Create an SVG skyview image from JSON data
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 21:18:19 -0700

Yo Niccolo!

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 22:47:51 +0200
Niccolo Rigacci <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, it works for me too. The problem was not with gpspipe, but
> with a script simulating it.

It happens...

> Yes, I changed the license statement and resized the image to
> 528x800 (indeed there are IMG_WIDTH and IMG_HEIGHT in the source,
> change them at your need).

Cool.  Looks good.  I just checked it into the contrib/ directory in
git head.  It will go out in the imminent 3.18.1 release.

> Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

I have more suggestions if you have the time.  As always, we'll take
no more than we can get.  :-}

So no problem if none of this sounds interesting to you.

Notice the attached pi6.svg from one of my hosts.  Note the vertical
Dverlap of the "Horizontal error" and the "Vertical error".

Instead of:

Lat/Lon 44.06880 -121.31430

Maybe:

Lat/Lon: 44.06880 N 121.31430 W

Or:

Lat 44.06880 N, Lon 121.31430 W

Two things needed to move out of contrib/.  They are an
asciidoc man page (skyview2svg.xml), and some command line options.

You can look at gpscat.xml for a good man page example.  I admit that
asciidoc can be a bit frightening at first.

The minimum command line options are:
        -h (help)
        -V (version).

I could imagine some other optiions:
        -w XX       Give up after XX seconds waiting for SKY and TPV
        -x HEIGHT   Height of SVG
        -y WIDTH    Width of SVG
        -d          Add date stamp to SVG
        -t TITLE    Add TITLE to the SVG

If only one of HEIGHT and WIDTH then calculate the other using an
aspect ratio.

Look at xgps for some ideas for the skyview image.  Color code the
satellites by SNR.  Use different shapes for GPS, SBAS, GALILEO, etc.

"And if you go chasing rabbits
 And you know you're going to fall
 Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar
 Has given you the call"