gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:41:29 -0600

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 11:44:00 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > A valid point. So maybe the trick is to install a given commit, then
> > with that commit still checked out, uninstall it. Only then check
> > out another version.
>
> Since I always want gpsd, I never bother to uninstall.  And I always
> install just one way.

That's great if you never have to check out a prior commit to test it.
Or test from multiple installation packages. Or be dang sure you're
starting with a fresh slate. Not everyone has that luxury.

> > A program really shouldn't get pieces splattered all over the user's
> > disk. Messy.
>
> No way to avoid it.  We get users that install their distros package,
> they they install a 3rd party package, then they install with
> clockmaker and again as root.  Voila, splatter all over.  A recurring
> issue.

Yup. Not even I am insane enough to ask you to ride herd on other
packagers. But your own packaging uninstallation does leave some things
behind: the symlinks to the two libraries, libQgpsmm.so and libgps.so.

> That is why I added more version checks.

Always a good idea. Thanks.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but