gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial

From: Charles Curley
Subject: [gpsd-users] 'scons check' installs files, fails on pyserial
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 15:20:11 -0600

I checked out release-3.18, and ran scons && scons check, first as a
non-root user. That failed as follows:

scons: *** [/usr/local/bin/gegps] /usr/local/bin/gegps: Permission denied

for obvious reasons:

address@hidden:~/versioned/gpsd$ ls -l $( which gegps )
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4395 Oct  4 14:43 /usr/local/bin/gegps
address@hidden:~/versioned/gpsd$

That can easily be repaired by adjusting the permissions. But....

Hmmm, that seemed odd to me. gegps is part of gpsd. Why is a test run
depending on a program that is already installed?

So I re-cloned, this time as root. Aha! 'scons check' produces:

Install file: "gegps" as "/usr/local/bin/gegps"
Install file: "gpscat" as "/usr/local/bin/gpscat"
Install file: "gpsfake" as "/usr/local/bin/gpsfake"
Install file: "gpsprof" as "/usr/local/bin/gpsprof"
Install file: "xgps" as "/usr/local/bin/xgps"
Install file: "xgpsspeed" as "/usr/local/bin/xgpsspeed"

So a different question: why is what should be a test run installing
software on what might be a virgin system? Can the subsequent tests be
run locally -- and regardless of the user? They are.

And 'scons check' fails:

gpsfake: Version 3.18
./gpsprof -V
gpsprof: Version 3.18
./ubxtool -V
ubxtool: failed to import pyserial
scons: *** [python-versions] Error 2

I should probably install one or both of:

address@hidden:~# apt-cache search pyserial
python-serial - pyserial - module encapsulating access for the serial port
python3-serial - pyserial - module encapsulating access for the serial port
address@hidden:~#

Recommendation as to which, or both, to install?

We should probably document this dependency in INSTALL.

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but