gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD SOCK output without PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD SOCK output without PPS
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 13:46:39 -0700

Yo Zach!

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:28:30 -0400
Zach LaCelle <address@hidden> wrote:

> Per my parallel thread, the environment is Ubuntu 16.04, kernel
> 4.15.0-34-generic, gpsd 3.15-2build1 from the PPA.

Gack, known broken.

> I don't have PPS because I'm using the USB connection to the EVK-7P

Wow, those are crazy expensive for what you get.

Just because it uses USB does not mean it does not have PPS over USB.

The u-blox doc I looked at does not say it does, or does not, support
that.  If it does ot, it is a one wire change to the board.

> "KPPS:/dev/ublox kernel PPS unavailable, PPS accuracy will suffer"

Unrelated.  You can have PPS without KPPS.

> The kernel module is definitely there:
> $ lsmod | grep pps
> pps_core               20480  1 ptp

But what is it hooked to?  Do you have a /dev/ppsX ?  Did you check
the control signals on the /dev/tty?

> Like you pointed out, SOCK doesn't give me any value over SHM for
> now. It will once I have PPS working,

Really?  What?

> and I was hoping to have the
> environment already configured by that point. No big deal, just
> wanted to see if I had the configuration working. I'll give your
> command for looking at socket traffic a try once I can go outside
> with the GPS again.

You should not need to get outside with a NEO-7.  Nor do you even
need a signal into the GPS for gpsd to connect to the GPS.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588