gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] ublox EVK-6 problem

From: Marek Floriańczyk
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] ublox EVK-6 problem
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:20:01 +0200

Dnia sobota, 22 kwietnia 2017 13:07:05 CEST Gary E. Miller pisze:
> Yo Marek!
>
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:42:23 +0200
>
> Marek Floriańczyk <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Gpsd is from Debian Stretch 64bit, version 3.16-4 and it runs with -N
> > parameter. I haven't modified anything in config.
>
> Can you tell us all the options used to start gpsd?  And verify you
> have the -n parameter in use.

Hi,

Gpsd is started with -N option.
ps ax|grep gpsd
 5949 ?        S<s    0:00 /usr/sbin/gpsd -N

EVK-6H is connected through USB and it seems that /dev/ttyACM0 is created for
it.

I have made additional tests.
With one app (server) connected to gpsd I was driving with my gps and laptop
for over an hour and no problem, until I had to put my app (server) into debug
mode (under GDB) - then it hangs again.
I have checked with gpsmon during that and it was giving right data, well at
least coordinates were changing.
So it looks like a plugin problem.

In the source code of this plugin I can see functions to read GSV:
/*
    $GPGSV,2,1,08,01,40,083,46,02,17,308,41,12,07,344,39,14,22,228,45*75
    Where:

      GSV          Satellites in view
      2            Number of sentences for full data
      1            sentence 1 of 2
      08           Number of satellites in view

      01           Satellite PRN number
      40           Elevation, degrees
      083          Azimuth, degrees
      46           SNR - higher is better
         for up to 4 satellites per sentence
      *75          the checksum data, always begins with *
  */

Function to read GSA
/*
    $GPGSA,A,3,04,05,,09,12,,,24,,,,,2.5,1.3,2.1*39

    Where:
      GSA      Satellite status
      A        Auto selection of 2D or 3D fix (M = manual)
      3        3D fix - values include: 1 = no fix
                                        2 = 2D fix
                                        3 = 3D fix
      04,05... PRNs of satellites used for fix (space for 12)
      2.5      PDOP (dilution of precision)
      1.3      Horizontal dilution of precision (HDOP)
      2.1      Vertical dilution of precision (VDOP)
      *39      the checksum data, always begins with *
  */

But can't find GGA - where latitude and longitude should be read.
Does it mean that Qt itself is parsing that string, not the plugin ?

I know that these question may be out of the scope of this list.

Does someone recommend a different way to get latitude/longitude from gpsd ?
Like telnet to port and parse GGA sentence ?

Best Regards
Marek