gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd-users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 12

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd-users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 12
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 09:47:27 -0000

Hi Gary, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am running older version of gpsd version 3.7 which does not have ntpshmmon utility. I also could not upgrade gpsd on my linux kernel version 3.3.8 (openwrt attitude adjustment distro). However I could get chrony to work properly with the same gpsd-3.7 which indicates that gpsd is writing the information to the shared memory segment. While ntpd still cannot synch up with gpsd. Please let me know if you need any more information. Also how do I update system time using either using chronyd or ntpd ?

Regards,
Nagaraj

Nagaraj,

With ntpd, the system time should automatically update when the service is first started. There are parameters which control the error allowed before the time is reset, but I've never had to alter the defaults.

Your ntpq -pn shows no connection to the outside servers, so perhaps there is a firewall issue? I would suggest marking at least one of the external servers as "prefer", as the timing of the serial output from typical GPS units is sufficiently variable that NTP may refuse to accept it as a source.

Your NTP version is very old, and perhaps you should consider updating to the current 4.2.8p9 reference implementation:

 https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-4.2/ntp-4.2.8p9.tar.gz

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu