gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD issues on Raspberry Pi running Raspbian

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD issues on Raspberry Pi running Raspbian
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:28:09 -0800

Yo Pedro!

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 12:59:44 -0500
Pedro Vaz Teixeira <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to setup a raspberry pi (model B rev 1.0) as a Stratum 1
> microserver, and am following the procedure described in [1]. So far,
> I've had mixed results: while I've had to change some of the build
> commands [2], I have been able to build both gpsd and ntpsec on the
> raspi.

You neglected to mention what distribution you are using and what
versions of ntpd.

The RasPi B is marginal in this application.  You'll get a much better
experience with a RasPi2 or RasPi3.

> The one issue blocking me right now is that I am unable to
> have gpsd output time notifications via shared memory (confirmed by
> ntpshmmon showing no output and ntpq -p showing a reach of zero for
> both gps and pps sources).

> Running gpsd with debug output shows it is not able to open pps1
> (which does not exist; the actual pps source is at /dev/pps0 and
> known to work via ppstest /dev/pps0) :

Why are you trying /dev/pps1?  Why are you not specifying /dev/pps0
on the command line?

> ./gpsd -N -n -D 3 /dev/ttyAMA0
> gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.17~dev)

[...]

> The pps module has been loaded:
> lsmod | grep -i pps
> pps_ldisc               2389  0
> pps_gpio                2993  0
> pps_core                8756  2 pps_ldisc,pps_gpio

And what does the output of ppstest show you?

> Running gpsd using pps0 requires sudo, and yields:
> sudo ./gpsd -N -n -D 3 /dev/pps0

Well, that is just wrong...  PPS needs the /dev/ttyAMA0 to know
when the PPS signal is valid.

> ...and still no ntpshmmon output. Am I missing something?

Did you read the time-service-intro.txt in the gpsd distro?

Yes, see above.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588