gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie

From: George Sexton
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Issue with Rasbian Jessie
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:23:21 -0700

On 3/4/2016 11:05 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 17:08:16 -0000
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

I have used GPSD on quite a large number of Raspberry Pi cards,
without issue, under Raspbian Wheezy.  However, on a new RPi 2, the
following happens:
I find that no distro gets gpsd auto-start correctly.
One of the problems that I run into on OpenSUSE with NTPD is that there's kind of a chicken and egg thing happening with Shared Memory that was related to permissions.

NTPD needs to start first to create the shared memory segment that GPSD can use. However, since GPSD isn't available, the GPS clocks aren't available to NTPD. What I end up doing is after boot is re-starting GPSD, and then re-starting NTPD.

Another issue is the auto-baud/search feature in GPSD. It means that it's not available, or at least kicking out anything useful for a few minutes. I've improved that by adding:

/usr/bin/stty --file=/dev/ttyS5 speed 38400

to bypass auto-baud.

I'm running from memory here, but that's what I remember happening.

I always just put the gpsd start in something like /etc/init.d/local

You are likely using the raspbian flavor of debian and their scripts
have been resistant to our changes.

RGDS
GARY
	address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588