gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] NTP with GPS & 1PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] NTP with GPS & 1PPS
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:09:08 -0800

Yo Sam!

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 15:25:02 +0000
Sam Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm hoping one of you can help point me in the right direction to
> solve my problem,

Have you read the gpsd-time-service-howto.txt and the RasPi parts of
the INSTALL file?

> I have a '*' but not a 'o' next to my entry in the ntpq output, and
> my offset and jitter do not stabilize near 0 like I believe they
> should if pps is working properly:

I see no PPS in your output below.  I only see NMEA time, which will never
get stable due to expected jitter.  So your ntpd config fle is missing the
entry for PPS.

> The output from ppstest  seems to indicate that pps is working:

Sort of, modulo the know kernel bug that never gies you a 'clear' edge.

> Mar  3 09:22:31 rpi2 ntpd[1306]: refclock_params: time_pps_kcbind:
> Operation not supported

Something else again, looks like maybe you are missing some kernel
part of kpps.

> I assume this means either there is something wrong with the way I
> re-built ntp, or that I am missing something ntp needs to interface
> to the pps?

Have gpsd talk to the PPS, not ntpd.

RGDS
GARY