gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] gpsd performing orderly socket shutdown

From: Tomalak Geret'kal
Subject: [gpsd-users] gpsd performing orderly socket shutdown
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:07:50 +0100

Ohai

We're connecting directly to gpsd 3.4 via local TCP/IP, pulling the NMEA stream and doing our own parsing.

(Whilst this is neither here nor there, the reason is that we really just want to use gpsd as a multiplexer, since our hardware has a large number of proprietary sentences making extending gpsd less viable than just implementing our own basic parser for our own sentences, without support for all the stuff that we know we don't have. It also means we don't need to modify gpsd at all.)

Our approach is pretty simple... a `select` call followed by a `read` call, in a loop. The socket is a blocking socket.

Intermittently, though, (say every 3-8 hours) on a particular device, we're seeing `select` return >0 then `read` return 0. Allegedly this non-error condition implies an orderly shutdown on the remote end.

So my question is, **under what circumstances might gpsd perform a shutdown of a client connection**? Any at all?

Cheers
Tom