gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Unrecognized request '?POLL'

From: Andrew Perrin
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Unrecognized request '?POLL'
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:35:23 -0500

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 02:23 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> You should make sure you're actually running with the right GPSD binary
> rather than some stale version off in a corner.  POLL is working here, I
> just tested it - and that response looks like it's from an old version
> of the daeon that lacks POLL support.

gpsd -V returns
gpsd: 3.4 (revision 3.4)

Interestingly,

echo '?POLL;' | nc localhost 2947

does not produce the error, so I think the problem is in the perl
module.

However the line in GPSD3.pm that sends the poll request is just:

$self->socket->send(qq(?POLL;\n));

which looks fine to me and indeed seems equivalent to the echo test.

To solve the immediate problem I've written a workaround: a script that
uses watch() until the first tpv, then dies returning the results. This
emulates polling well enough for my immediate uses but isn't ideal.

Thanks -

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - address@hidden - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
        Associate Professor and Associate Chair of Sociology
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA