gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Sending SiRF commands to GPS receiver

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Sending SiRF commands to GPS receiver
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:45:06 -0800

On 2/25/2012 23:26, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Alexander Carver<address@hidden>:
On 2/25/2012 22:17, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Alexander Carver<address@hidden>:
Is it possible to send any SiRF command to a GPS via gpsd or can you
only send certain commands already in the source code?  I see the -x
in gpsctl but it's not clear how to send SiRF messages (SiRF isn't
one of the listed examples).

It's not possible to send general control messages from an ordinary
gpsd client.  It is possible to do it via the gpsctl utility; you should
look into that.

I did ask about gpsctl.  When I say 'via gpsd', I mean exactly that,
using gpsd as the gateway for gpsctl.  :)

gpsctl operting when the daomon is running uses the gpsd special control
port.  So gpsctl -x should do what you need.

Right, I understand that much but what should the format of the command be after -x because it's not documented for SiRF. The manpage for gpsctl lists UBX, Navcom NCT, Trimble TSIP, Zodiac, and straight NMEA but it leaves out SiRF.