gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 16:57:10 +0000

On 26/02/2012 14:40, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Tomalak Geret'kal<address@hidden>:
On 26/02/2012 13:46, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Tomalak Geret'kal<address@hidden>:
How about option 3, find a real webhost?
All of them suck in various painful ways, most having to do with
the extremely primitive state of forge software.  I know how to fix this, but
doing so will require about six months of concentration that I haven't
been able to give the problem yet.
I don't follow.

Web hosting has been widely and easily available for ... quite some
time.
Permissions.

I want my other committers to be able to change the web content as
well.  This means either hosting it on the forge site where they
already have accounts and commit privilewges, or requiring all devs to
manage two sets of credentials - one for the forge, one for the
webhosting. That would suck.

I personally prefer github, but why not either github or gitorious? (I'm sure we had this conversation already? Still not sure why you are on some solution that you don't like, given that other solutions are available which do actually do what you want, even if you have ethical or other problems with them?)

Arguing in favour of github for a moment.
- You can have a nice looking URL
- You can host custom (static) websites, and/or use their simple wiki engine
- Trivial to backup the source and websites (so github could disappear at short notice and you will still have backups of src/website) - Has a decent "issues" system. BUT, backing up the issues system would require a custom script (potential black mark, but quite a small one IMHO)
- Pretty fast and responsive
- Plenty of desktop apps make it very easy to use (most common complaint about git repos...)

Cheers

Ed W