gpsd-dev

Re: NTP data when using NMEA tcp feed

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: NTP data when using NMEA tcp feed
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 20:39:58 -0800

Yo Nick!

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:36:08 +0000
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> Yo Gary
> > Hahaha, there is never a final issue.  :-)
> I can hope :D
> >> Where there is a sparse NMEA feed (missing satellite data) it seems
> >> that the ntp shm feed is missing - no data reported by ntpshmmon
> > I thought I fixed that.  Can you send the log of "gpsd -D 4 ..." ?
> >
> It seems intermittent...

OUch.

> First we had no output from ntpshmmon, created debug, then after gpsd
> restart was working OK

How can you get no output from ntpshmmon???

> Frankly it may be enough for our devices to grab timesync as I
> understand this type of intermittent problem difficult to debug...

Easy when you look in the right place.  Can you share your ntp.conf,
and samples of ntpshmmon output?

> Attaching debug log but not sure what it will tell us...

This shows gpsd is getting time from the NMEA, and passing it on to
ntpd:
.
gpsd:PROG: NTP:SHM: ntpshm_put(NTP0, -1) tcp://10.80.0.123:5017,
1671615573.000000000 @  1671615573.400751070

And doing it every second.  Looks perfect to me.

> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!!!

Now if I only got those days off from work.  :-)

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588