gnuzilla-dev

Request/question about ServiceWorkers

From: chippy
Subject: Request/question about ServiceWorkers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:09:47 +0100

Hi all,

as you might know (or not...) I'm distributing Icecat binaries via this
website: https://icecatbrowser.org and sometimes I receive some
feedback from users.

The most of the cases I can reply to questions but I received this
request that I prefer to forward and share here because I'm not
prepared on the topic. It also sounds like something that can impact
users privacy.

==================================

> Hi team,
>
> tested the latest version you have on site... Dont have an account to
> codeberg to submit an issue.
>
> You should disable by default the ServiceWorkers or make an
> enable/disable option. Read more
> https://github.com/pipiscrew/small_prjs/tree/master/js_serviceworker
>
> truly there is no need to have it... The guy is into Gecko render
> engine, see^ I have link, checked the source, used in multiple
> places, will be hard..
==================================

I checked 'about:serviceworkers' and indeed service workers are there
even after the page that registered them is long closed.

quote from the github url above:
> Service Worker - run independently of the specific page that
> registered it. Can continue running in the background even when the
> page that registered them is closed. Used for tasks such as caching
> resources, background sync, and push notifications. Can respond to
> events even when the associated web page is not active.
> Disable Service Workers
>
> firefox :
>
>     about:config
>     set false
>         dom.serviceWorkers.enabled
>         dom.webnotifications.serviceworker.enabled
>         extensions.backgroundServiceWorker.enabled

I can see how it can be used to track user activity.

Is disabling this going to prevent (some) websites from working
correctly?

I can disable it on my Icecat and see what happens but seeing what
happens is on a different level than knowing what happens, where the
latter is to be preferred, reason why I'm asking here.

Thank you in advance,
Chippy