gnuzilla-dev

"Patch" / modification for https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: "Patch" / modification for https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:45:29 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to change the Downloads section to the following:
<h3 id="downloads">Downloads</h3>

  GNU Guix maintains
  an <a href="https://packages.guix.gnu.org/packages/icecat";>IceCat
  package</a>. The package is generated from the both
  the <a href="https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git";>Git
  repository of GNUzilla</a> and from the Firefox source code to keep up
  with the latest security updates.

  If you don't use Guix and want to use IceCat, you use you could
  either consider maintaining an IceCat package for your distribution
  or using Guix to install it.

  Note that building binary packages for Windows and MacOS currently
  requires nonfree software, so we no longer distribute binary
  packages for those platforms.

The rationale is that using the FTP or the git source code directly
does not seems not to be a good idea unless the browser is used offline
due to security issues.

But in another hand Guix seems to do a pretty good job at maintaining
the IceCat package. It seems to re-apply Icecat patches on top of the
latest Firefox version. This way users have up to date security
patches and icecat modifications at the same time.

I use both the Tor Browser and Icecat from Guix and most of the time
they both track the same Firefox version.

Since Guix is not convenient for everybody (on top of another
distribution, it requires users to also update Guix, and also require
more space), I also added a suggestion to package Icecat for other
distributions as well.

Denis.